Thursday, November 10, 2022

Update on "Rob"

 A while ago I wrote about a student on the Autism spectrum who was not doing well. Since then, we have connected more than he has seemingly connected with other teachers. 

A couple of weeks ago, while we were working on emulating Jason's Reynold's style from Long Way Down, we had a few extra minutes at the end of class. Sometimes, when we have a few extra minutes at the end of class, we play "hot seat," where one student sits on a tall chair while the others ask serious and silly questions in an effort to get to know each other. At the end of class that day, "Rob" was in the classroom while other students were in the collaborative/community space. I asked him if he had done "hot seat" and if he was willing. He said he was. I asked him to choose the tall seat or his regular seat. He chose the tall seat. His peers asked him questions, and he engaged with each one, sometimes in silly ways. It was a fun time, and I am really proud of him for putting himself out there like that.

I emailed his mother, Intervention Specialist, and ParaProfessional, as that felt like a big breakthrough.

Just yesterday, we had a meeting about Rob's progress. It sounds like he might be pushed towards Rockbridge, the online extension program. If he leaves, I'll miss him in our class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changes in Mask Mandate

 Today is the first day that students can choose to wear a mask or not. I was very curious about who would and would not mask. In my first-p...